Sunday, October 07, 2007

Great shoes

I had the honor of supporting and working for Congresswoman Jo Ann Davis. A tough cookie with a heart as big as Virginia, I admired her for ideals, her strength, her compassion and her protective nature of the people of her district. She believed "First District First". Her constituents were her top priority, often breaking ranks to protect First District residents.

On a personal note, I always noticed her shoes. She wore the most amazing shoes. Be they cowboy boots or high heels, they were always on the mark. They were first rate, coordinated well and stylish. Her shoes, in my mind, were legendary. No bigger than a New York minute, this woman could walk in 4 inch heels at the pace that would put speed walkers to shame. Her cowboy boots while gorgeous, were functional, practical and beautiful. Her shoes always, always went well with her outfits.

It dawned on me today, the shoes, in a small way, represented who she was. They were selected with care, made a statement without screaming and told the world who she was. Like her shoes, Jo Ann thought out her position on issues, she made her statements without screaming and she stood by her convictions. She coordinated her career, her family and her life. Some days it was running in 4 inch heels, some days it was cowboy boots. She wore life well and it showed.

I was always impressed by the love and support shown to her by First District voters. Clearly they knew who she was. I think the most powerful time was a barbeque she threw at her home in the Northern Neck. It was not a fund raiser, she didn't want to make a speech, she just wanted to say thank you to her supporters. A very class act. At that barbeque, I saw hundreds of people from every walk of life. I saw veterans that she had personally assisted to get their benefits straight, I saw regular Joes who she had helped cut through the red tape of Washington. I saw people who enthusiastic supported her work for Virginia.

The barbeque was on a blistering hot day soon after her first round of chemo. For over four hours, Jo Ann stood and talked with constituents one after another. No chairs, no "I need a break", she stayed until each on had been greeted, pictures taken, thanked and talked to. She brushed off a chair, a break, anything except water. She was in her element, with her friends, family and supporters.

Jo Ann's legacy of work will live on, she stayed true to herself and her district.

Whoever replaces her has a massive pair of shoes to fill. I don't think it can be done.

Godspeed Jo Ann. May your family find strength and comfort at this time. You will be missed.

No comments: